Gorari Battlefield Tour
Welcome to our special battlefield tour of the Northern Beaches and Gorari.
If you’ve ever wanted to explore what happened through the Kokoda Track campaign but not sure if you want to commit to trekking the Kokoda Track itself then this is the way to do it.
We will take you to first to Popendetta to visit the memorial. Then onto the Gona. Buna and Sanananda over the next few days to explore the final position the Japanese held before being pushed off the Papua New Guinea main land,
Next we will travel to Gorari a place of significance as the last major battle between the Japanese and Australian troops before the beachheads. This is the battle that broke the spirit of the invading forces as the young Australian Troops drove a wedge between the Japanese Troops and used a pincer formation to close in on them.
In 2018 we unveiled a memorial to the 133 Australian soldiers killed in action here and the 225 wounded. We will spend a night in Gorari and hold a special service to remember those that fought.
We will then move to Kokoda Village and talk you through the military history and battle briefings from 1942. We will camp for the night at Kokoda before making our way back to Popendetta and on to Port Moresby where will take the last significant step of the tour and visit the Bomana War Cemetery. The rest place of almost 4,000 Australian Soldiers from the Pacific Campaign.
This tour is filled with emotion as we immerse you in the Military History of 1942 but is not physical in the way the Kokoda Track itself is. Easily accessible by everyone.
Here’s a podcast where we sat down and chatted to John Tannock about how the Gorari Memorial came to be.
|Group Sizes:||Approximately 15 – 20 People|
This is a non-trekking adventure. All transport is vehicle and aircraft.
Historical tour of the Beachheaads – Gona and Buna.
Kokoda Village overnight stay and military history tour.
Unveiling of monument at Gorari village.
The following are included in the price of our Gorari Tour:
- International Flights to from Brisbane.
- Internal flight Port Moresby to Popendetta and return
- Airport/Hotel accommodation transfers
- Accommodation 2 nights twin share, at a secure 5 star Hotel in Port Moresby. (pre and post adventure only) Airways Hotel or Crowne Plaza Hotel
- Single Person Tent
- 65 litre backpack for clothing and personal effects
- All meals at Hotel (pre and post trek)
- Service and Unveiling of the Memorial
- Kokoda Specific Training Program
- Comprehensive pre trek information and support package. Experienced support staff to answer your questions and requests prior to your trek
- 24 hour emergency support network in Port Moresby and Australia
- Communication and emergency equipment, satellite phones
- Visit to Bomana War Cemetery
- Experienced and professionally trained PNG Trek Leader and Guides
- Our Porters and Guides are Alola where Brigade HQ was situated during the battle of Isuarva
- Group Camping and trek equipment
- We have group medical kits
- First Aid trained Guides
- All meals during the trek
- Village campsite fees
- Kokoda Track Authority fee and permit
- Adventure Professionals cool dry trek shirt and cap
- We have a Port Moresby office with support staff on hand to assist
- We pay for Porter flights/transport to and from Kokoda Village
- We supply all Porter food and camping equipment
- We pay our Trek Guides and Porters well above the industry average and well above the recommended amount specified by the Kokoda Track Authority
Interested in a New Adventure?
Contact us to learn more about our trips or to create your own.